She waits

She waits

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Sometimes, you just gotta laugh

Of all the things to remember today by, the least likely is what really stands out for me.

We woke up pretty early for us this morning.  The plan for today was a tour of a local brewery, which turned out to be a lot of fun.  The tour itself was interesting and lasted about an hour.  Afterwards, we got to go to the brewery's bar and sample some of their different beers.  We both tried the Honey Wheat, which was pretty good.  Then we each tried three different kinds of beer--for a total of six brews.  He was doing just fine, but I ended up getting pretty tipsy.  Not great considering I'd decided to wear my absolutely great, but very high 5-inch boots.

After a couple of hours in the bar, he let me get my picture taken with a Clydesdale.  I was so happy with that!  I really love horses, and Clydesdales are such gentle giants.  This one's name was Jackson, and he was really friendly.  I was slightly surprised by that, considering he'd been standing out to let people take their picture with him for about two hours, and most of them were little kids that tried to crawl all over him.  He was a real sweetheart, though.  I'm happy that S let me take my picture with him.

When we left the brewery I was still awfully tipsy, so we decided to go check in to our hotel room.  I'd figured that our day trip would leave us slightly inebriated (or at least one of us), so I made reservations at a little place in town.  We checked in and hung out for a little bit.  We were feeling pretty restless, though.  Typically people can't go straight from something fun and exciting to sitting still without some kind of in between.  So, we went to check out the old district in town.  It was a great little place!

After about five hours of walking around in those fabulous boots of mine I was ready to kick them off.  I didn't bring any other shoes with me, though, so I had to buy a pair (oh darn!).  I love shoes.  S helped me pick out the cutest pair of flat heeled boots, and I felt so much more comfortable.  One slight problem:  the flat-heeled boots weren't exactly flat.  They had the tiniest heel on them that was completely foreign to me.  I have never had shoes like that before, so I didn't really know how to walk in them.  They look like flats, where you can step and land heel first, but they have a heel, so you should really treat them like a stiletto.  This is important in just a minute.

We did a little more shopping and looking around, then decided to get something to eat.  What we found was the most delightful little English-style pub.  I have to say, that pub had the single greatest menu I have ever seen.  S and I looked at it for a good twenty minutes, and had such a hard time picking what we wanted to have.  Everything sounded so good!  That was a very pleasant surprise for each of us.

It was back to the hotel after dinner for an evening of goofy movies (including Dumb and Dumber and Mars Attacks!), and great conversation.  I have to say, it was a truly wonderful day.  So, what do you think is the part that stood out to me the most?  Honestly?  It was when we were walking to our table in the pub.

Those new little booties that I got were really cute and very comfortable.  Their only draw back was that little heel I mentioned earlier.  I wasn't used to it yet, and this became spectacularly evident as I tried to walk to our table.  Notice that I said "tried"?  Well, the floor in that pub is very clean (good for them!), and consequently, very slick.  I stepped heel-first on to that floor and found zero purchase.  One second I'm happily walking with the man that I love to enjoy a good dinner, the next my foot is flying up over my head and I'm certain that deer-in-the-headlights look stuck on my face.

Fortunately, there was a little raised area with a banister, which I was able to grasp on to in order to prevent landing firmly on my butt (I have a lot of practice almost falling).  Part of my brain was screaming at me that I should be horribly embarrassed.  After all, there I was, dressed up for a nice date, walking with my guy to have a nice dinner.  And I go and flail about trying not to fall down.  I'm sure it caused a little bit of a scene, considering this was right in the middle of about three tables of people.  The thing is, I wasn't embarrassed at all.  If anything, I was really proud of myself for not actually falling!

You see, it doesn't matter how serious the situation was setting up to be.  Sometimes, you just have to laugh at yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment