She waits

She waits

Thursday, November 4, 2010

So much for co-piloting

Bowling seemed like such a good idea at first.  I mean, what better way to enjoy a nice evening together?  Neither one of us is any earthly good at bowling, so we'd definitely have some laughs.  Plus, it's a great way to be out in public, in the noise and bustle of society, while still getting to do something just ourselves.  So, that was the plan.  We'd head off to the local bowling alley and play a few games.

The problem is, he likes to drive his car.  I will readily admit that his car is much nicer than my own, but mine is perfectly serviceable.  So, he insists on driving.  Now, that leaves me to act as co-pilot.  This means it is my responsibility to navigate us to the bowling alley.  Did I mention that I have been here for less than one week?  And the majority of that week has been spent indoors?  I am completely unfamiliar with this area, so really I'm just guessing at which way to go.  Thanks to this, it takes us roughly an hour to meander over to the alley which is less than fifteen minutes from his apartment.  :)  Oops!

Of course, once we get to the bowling alley we discover that leagues are going on, and we cannot play tonight.  So, back to the apartment.  On the way back he does not need any assistance with navigation, and this leaves me with an opportunity to ponder.

I wonder if I am an adequate partner to him.  After all, navigation is something that he has been trained to do, and something that he finds to be extremely simple.  If I cannot manage this, how stupid must I appear to him?  Regardless of the fact that I am brand new here, I should be able to keep up with him.  A good partner would be an asset to him.  I wonder if I could possibly say that about myself at this point?  I wonder if he would say that about me?

On the drive back to his place, I go over what I could possibly bring to his life.  Love, of course.  He has 100% of my heart.  Devotion.  He is the only one I want.  Laughter.  I am a silly individual, and I like to play and have fun.  Generally he is a more serious person, so I think that laughter is a good thing to bring to him.  Intelligent conversation.  He can talk to me about pretty much anything and I am able to keep up with him.  I occasionally bring up interesting conversations myself.  I say occasionally because I typically keep my thoughts to myself.  I'm...introverted.

The thing is, I know that I can bring some great things to his life.  What I don't know is if those things are important or even relevant to him.  What good are my assets if they mean absolutely nothing to him?  I want to ask him what things are important to him.  I want to ask him if I bring anything good to his life.  I just don't know if now is the right time, or how to go about it.  And so, all these thoughts stay inside my head on the quick, quiet journey back to his apartment.  Once inside, I put the thoughts to rest, and we pick out a movie to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment